Although it is a slow and controlled movement, done correctly, you will definitely feel it in your underlying ab muscle (transverse abdominis) throughout the exercise. To engage this muscle, you need to pull your belly button in and tighten.
The most important part of this exercise is to keep a flat back position. It may take some practice, but that is the essence of this exercise.
It is designed to challenge you to keep balanced and flat as you move one arm and the opposite leg up into a straight position.
Take a look at our video tutorial below to see the fine form points of this exercise, and if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
2-point superman exercise – Step-by-step technique
- Step 1: Start by getting into a tabletop position, resting on your hands and knees, with your knees at 90 degrees and directly under your hips. Breathe in.
- Step 2: As you breathe out, pull your belly button back and slowly raise one arm and the opposite leg as high up as you can, to a flat position.
- Step 3: At this top point, your hips and shoulders should be square and your back should be flat.
- Step 4: Breathe in as you slowly lower your arm and leg back to the start. Repeat using the opposite arm and leg to your first rep.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend you start with 10 reps on each side. **
** Pro Tip #2: As you complete the exercise, keep your core strong to protect your lower back. If you start to twist or your back sags, stop the exercise.
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.