Of course there are other reasons, but as you progress on your fitness journey the one thing that will start to concern you is your family weight loss goals.
You’ve dropped some weight; you’re feeling fitter and happier. But you’re probably starting to ask yourself a few questions; what legacy are you leaving for your children? Are they going to be fit adults? How healthy is your partner?
Why Being Healthy Is a Good Idea
Being healthy means considering what you eat and getting active. It is essential to instill this in your children when they are young. This will help them to form a habit of healthy eating and exercise; a habit that they will carry through their life.
A healthy lifestyle is essential to reducing your risk of heart attack, strokes, a wide array of cardiovascular diseases and even many age related conditions.
But it’s more than just staying in good health; you’ll feel fitter, more confident, and be more able to take on a wide variety of challenges.
You owe it to yourself to tackle family weight loss and give your children the best possible start in life.
Fortunately, the Fit Father Project is here to help!
Discover the Best Way to Introduce Your Family to Weight Loss
You know it was tough when you started your weight loss journey. Suddenly you were giving up all the good things and replacing them with healthy options. It won’t be easy to convince your children that carrots are better than sweets!
The key to successfully introducing the topic of family weight loss is to take it one step at a time.
- Sit your family down and tell them what you have achieved since you started your weight loss journey.
- Ask them for their support with continuing your journey.
- Introduce the idea that they may benefit from your healthy eating plan. Perhaps suggest that fruit is consumed instead of cookies. The key is to change things slowly; just one bit at a time. This will allow your family to adapt and not resist the changes.
- Set an example with your own food choices and exercises.
- Talk about a goal that all the family can share; perhaps everyone could cut out biscuits by the end of the month.
- Inspire them with a reward if they achieve this goal.
It is essential that you get your family weight loss journey started one small step at a time. You can choose when to take the next step. It doesn’t matter if it takes a year to get the changes in place; you’re aiming to create lifetime habits!
You also need to be aware of when the family weight loss plan is going well, and make sure you celebrate this fact. Non food based rewards can really help keep your family on track in the early days.
Making Family Weight Loss Fun
The key to successful family weight loss is to make it fun. There are several ways in which you can ensure this is the case:
- Choose meals and prepare them together. You’ll not only encourage healthy eating they will develop an interest in what they are eating.
- Keep the communication lines open at all times. It doesn’t matter how young your children are. You need to be aware of their thoughts and adjust the eating plan to help them adapt.
- Eat and undertake activities together. You’re not just setting an example; you’ll actually be helping to keep it fun.
- Eat in different places. Healthy eating doesn’t mean cooking at home and eating at the table all the time. Have a picnic in the garden or even the living room. Educate your children regarding the different types of food. You’ll probably learn something too!
The most important factor of keeping family weight loss fun is to involve your family. It’s hard not to enjoy it when you are all doing it together!
Choosing Healthy Food & Undertaking Outdoor Activities Together
Part of eating healthily and improve your family’s fitness is choosing the right food and undertake exercise.
The best way to do this is to get everyone to make a suggestion of exercise. You can then randomly pick one to do and then do the others on a different day. This ensures that everyone has an interest in the activity which will help them to complete it.
You should also consider what activities you can do as a family. Exercise doesn’t need to be running a marathon or even working out in the gym for several hours.
You simply need to get your heart’s pumping. Here are some family activities which can be a great way to have fun and exercise:
- Playing rounders or football in the garden.
- Swimming in the local pool.
- Cycling together; take healthy snacks for your picnic.
- Go for a walk together and visit a farm or food market. They’ll have fun learning about food and exercise at the same time!
- Take them to laser shooting or play capture the flag.
- Try tennis, badminton or volleyball.
You also need to help them understand which foods are healthy choices and which are not.
You can do this by making it into a game; such as recognize the vegetable or think of a healthy food starting with a certain letter.
Alongside this let them see your healthy eating plan and ask questions regarding the ingredients; you’ll be helping them to understand what is healthy and what is not.
It is worth noting that you can find apps to help you teach your family about healthy foods. These are interactive and will certainly get your children interested.
The Fitter Line
The best way to get your family weight loss goals started and keep them all motivated is to take one small step at a time.
You can rely on Fit Father for Life Team to provide you with tools needed to inspire and guide you and your family through the weight loss journey together.
Even the most reluctant family members will stop moaning once they start to feel the benefits; you already know what they are!
Your new friend & health coach,
*Please know that weight loss results & health changes/improvements vary from individual to individual; you may not achieve similar results. Always consult with your doctor before making health decisions. This is not medical advice – simply very well-researched info on family weight loss.