Studies show that eating several small meals or snacks throughout the day, instead of just one or two large meals, is an effective weight loss strategy.
One such study published in 2017 in Public Health Nutrition found that eating mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks, containing at least 15% of your daily energy intake, is associated with a lower risk of abdominal obesity.
Snacking helps curb your appetite, making it easier to eat less at mealtime. However, choosing the right snacks for weight loss is essential for success.
Here’s A Free Weight Loss Meal Plan For Busy Men 40+
Discover exactly what to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner to lose belly fat & feel energized 24/7 without hard dieting...
How To Choose Snacks For Weight Loss
A good rule of thumb when choosing snacks for weight loss in men is to pick those containing about 250 calories when following 1,500- to 1,800-calorie meal plans.
Even if your weight loss plan includes more than 1,800 calories a day, 250-calorie snacks usually work well.
When choosing nutritious snacks for weight loss, pick foods rich in protein, healthy fats, fiber, or all these satiating nutrients. Doing so keeps you full longer and helps curb junk food cravings.
Eat a small meal or snack every few hours or so during your weight loss journey, and drink water before you eat. This strategy is associated with greater weight loss compared with not preloading your body with water. You'll feel full from fewer calories after drinking about 2 cups of water 30 minutes before meals and snacks.
Sample Weight Loss Snacks For Men
Choose the following delicious, nutritious snacks for weight loss in men so you can reach your goal weight and maintain it for life!
#1 Low-Fat Cottage Cheese with Berries and Nuts
Low-fat cottage cheese is loaded with satiating protein. Nuts provide protein too, plus heart-healthy fats. Here is the calorie breakdown of low-fat cottage cheese topped with blueberries and walnuts:
- 1 cup of low-fat cottage cheese = 163 calories
- 1/3 cup of blueberries = 28 calories
- 1/3 ounce of walnuts = 60 calories
Replace walnuts with sliced almonds, pistachios, or sunflower seeds if you'd like.
Total: 251 calories
#2 Homemade Protein Smoothies
Homemade protein smoothie recipes make excellent satiating meal replacements or snacks when you’re on the go, require post-workout nourishment, or want to maintain lean muscle during weight loss. The calorie breakdown of a banana cashew protein shake is as follows:
- 1 1/4 cup of skim milk or plant milk = 100 calories
- 3/4 scoop of protein powder = 83 calories
- 1/2 of a small banana = 45 calories
- 1 teaspoon of cashew butter = 30 calories
Use any of your favorite fruits and nut butters in place of the banana and cashew butter if you desire.
Total: 258 calories
#3 Low-Sugar Protein Bars
Be careful when choosing protein bars for weight loss to avoid those that are high in sodium and added sugar. Choose protein bars as snacks for weight loss IF they are a good source of fiber but contain 5 grams of sugar or less per serving. Examples of healthy protein bars for weight loss include:
- Cliff mint chocolate protein bars = 250 calories
- Think Thin chocolate mint protein bars = 230 calories
- Peanut butter One Bars = 220 calories
- MRE oatmeal chocolate chip meal replacement bars = 260 calories
- Musclepharm cookie dough Combat Crunch bars = 230 calories
- Lean Body fudge brownie protein bars = 260 calories
You can also make your own homemade protein bars using delicious protein bar recipes!
Total: 220-260 calories
#4 Whole Grain Cereal with Milk and Nuts
Whole-grain cereal helps fill you up, and topping it with milk and nuts adds protein and satiating healthy fats. The calorie breakdown of whole-grain cereal with milk and nuts is:
- 1 cup of whole-grain cereal = 110 calories
- 2 tablespoons of sliced almonds = 67 calories
- 1 cup of skim milk or plant milk = 80 calories
Instead of almonds, you can also top whole-grain cereal with walnuts, pistachios, flax seeds, or fruit!
Total: 257 calories
#5 Veggies with Hummus
Fiber-rich vegetables mixed with hummus, which is rich in nutritious fats and satiating protein, makes an excellent snack for weight loss in men. Try the following veggie and hummus combinations:
- 1/3 cup of hummus = 200 calories
- 1 cup of sliced carrots = 50 calories
*Instead of carrots, try
- 2 cups of cucumber slices = 30 calories
- 2 cups of celery sticks = 30 calories
- 2 cups of sliced red bell peppers = 50 calories
- 1 cup of peas in their pods = 40 calories
- 1 1/2 cups of raw cauliflower = 40 calories
Just about any raw vegetables taste delicious dipped in hummus!
Total: 250 calories
#6 Greek Yogurt with Nuts and Berries
Greek yogurt is loaded with protein, probiotics, and calcium, and topping it with berries and nuts adds fiber and healthy fats. The calorie breakdown of this nutrient-dense snack is:
- 1 container of nonfat Greek yogurt = 100 calories
- 1/2 cup of strawberries = 25 calories
- 3/4 ounce of pistachios = 122 calories
To change things up, top Greek yogurt with bananas, blueberries, raspberries, or kiwi fruit instead of strawberries.
Total: 247 calories
#7 Apples with Almond Butter
Apples alone work well as a snack, but adding nut butter boosts satiety by adding protein and healthy fat. Here is the calorie breakdown of apples dipped in almond butter:
- 1 cup of apple slices = 65 calories
- 2 tablespoons of almond butter = 195 calories
You can also dip apples (or pears) in peanut butter, cashew butter, or any other favorite nut butter.
Total: 260 calories
#8 Tuna Salad with Tomatoes
Mixing tuna salad with tomatoes makes an excellent snack for weight loss in men that keeps you full longer between meals. The calorie breakdown of this nutritious snack is:
- 4 ounces of canned light tuna = 132 calories
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil mayonnaise = 90 calories
- 1/8 cup of celery = 2 calories
- 1 cup of sliced tomatoes = 30 calories
Replaced canned tuna with canned, grilled, or baked chicken if you'd like!
Total: 254 calories
#9 Hard Boiled Eggs and Fruit
Eggs are one of the best protein sources you’ll find, and eating fruit with this healthy snack adds fiber and keeps energy levels high. The calorie breakdown of two eggs with an orange is:
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs = 156 calories
- 1 large orange = 70 calories
You can pair hard-boiled eggs with any fruit or vegetable or your choice.
Total: 226 calories