But exercise is also important to improve your health, and it’s essential if you want to build muscle. But you may find yourself asking ‘when should I workout?’
There is a wealth of information available on the web. This guide will consolidate the facts for you and help you continue your weight loss journey while building muscle.
Understanding The Research
There are numerous studies that have looked into optimal workout times. Everyone wants to get the best possible results for the time they have available.
Unfortunately the studies all show conflicting results.
If you exercise before breakfast then you’re exercising in a fasting state; this is believed to boost your metabolism and help you to burn fat more efficiently throughout the day.
The morning is also the time when testosterone levels are the highest. This can give you the extra push to work out harder and for longer.
People who work out in the morning are also more likely to develop a routine and stick to it.
There is an argument that afternoon workouts can be more beneficial to you.
Not only can an afternoon workout help with the post-lunch fatigue, it's also the time when your body temperature is highest.
This allows your muscles to perform better and means that you're less likely to injure yourself.
The simple fact of the matter is that most people work out when it suits their schedule. But to really get the most from your workout you need to start thinking about your schedule.
How Your Body Reacts When Your Schedule Stays The Same
Within 10 minutes of exercising, heart rate will dramatically increase, the brain becomes more alert, pain signals get blocked, and the respiratory system optimizes. In contrast, your digestive system will practically shut down.
As soon as you stop exercising the body will return to normal levels as quickly as possible. The speed this occurs at will depend on your fitness level.
Your body is incredibly adaptive, you’ll notice that you quickly become used to this training routine and don’t suffer from delayed onset muscle soreness.
This ability to adapt is useful in many aspects of life. In terms of exercise research conducted by the University of North Texas has discovered that your circadian rhythms will adapt according to your routines.
This means if you eat at the same time every day your body will learn to relax then. If you exercise at the same time every day then it will be prepared for it.
Therefore you will feel your strongest and best when you exercise at the same time.
It is, therefore, logical to conclude that if you change your schedule and exercise in the afternoon instead of the morning your body will be less prepared and weaker. In effect, you will be shocking your body.
By pushing it just as hard at this time of day as you do in your normal slot you’ll actually be working out harder. This boosts your heart rate, improves the blood flow and burns more calories.
The real answer to when should I workout is at different times each day. This will allow your body to be challenged more and may even make it easier to fit it into your schedule
Top Tips Re When Should I Workout
But knowing when you should workout is only part of the equation. To get the best results, lose the weight and build muscle, you need to get the most out of every workout. Squeezing in a few extra won’t hurt either!
Take a look at your current exercise routine. If you haven’t already tried our FF30X 30-Day Program, then try it now.
- Add weights to the exercises you complete. For example, if you’re a runner add ankle or wrist weights; this will make your muscles work much harder and increase your gains.
- Create a Schedule. Ideally, you should mix it up. Sometimes work out in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon. To be really effective you should schedule your exercise times and stick to them.If you do the same workout every day you’ll reach a plateau. If you record your exercise routines then you’ll be able to adjust them to make them more challenging. This will increase their effectiveness.
- Warming Up. You should always warm up. This will help to prevent injuries and ensure you can push your muscles as hard as possible. The harder you push the greater the benefit.You need to remember that warming down is just as important to prevent injuries and delayed soreness.
- Get the right form. Ask for help to ensure you are using equipment properly and that you maintain form throughout the reps. This will ensure you are working the right muscles and improving; not just going through the motions.
How to Fit More in Your Workout
There are several things you can do to increase what you do during your workout session and how many workouts you do.
- Make a plan. This will ensure that every moment of your available exercise slot is spent exercising. It’s very easy to waste time deciding what to do next or checking out the pretty girl on the other side of the room.
- Review your schedule. If you currently sit watching junk until midnight then consider switching the television off half an hour earlier. You can then rise half an hour earlier and fit in an extra workout.
- Use Your Lunch Break. Don’t sit at your desk eating. Instead, go for a brisk walk, run, visit the gym if there is one nearby or even play a game of squash or tennis. Anything that gets your heart pumping will help.
- Change Your Commute. Even if you commute 10 miles you can adjust your current routine to allow for some exercise. Park the car further away or get off the train two stops earlier. Then run or jog the rest of the way in.
- Exercise at home. With the help of the Fit Father Program, you can easily exercise at home. This will save time on getting to the gym and increase the time you have to work out in. Our site can give you all the exercises and routines you need to build muscle and lose fat.
- Turn The TV OFF. Turn off the television and do something active with your family or a friend. Anything which burns calories will help!
Summing Up When Should I Workout
The bottom line is that the answer to when should I workout is as simple as when it suits you best. There are benefits to working out at all times of the day but if your schedule is that type then any workout is better than none.
If you have the opportunity then changing the timing of your workout will help. You can also use the tips in this guide to help you improve the results of each workout and the amount you workout.
But don’t forget that it’s not always about time. Our programs are specifically designed with busy men in mind. Join our FF30X 30-Day program today and start your journey to a slimmer yet more muscular you.
Your new friend & health coach,
Head Training Staff, The Fit Father Project
Brotherhood Nickname: “The Fit Brit”
Bragging Rights: 16 Years in the fitness industry, Author of ‘The Easy Fitness Guide', Father of 4 boys and Husband to a Venezuelan beauty.
*Please know that weight loss results & health changes/improvements vary from individual to individual; you may not achieve similar results. Always consult with your doctor before making health decisions. This is not medical advice – simply very well-researched info on conditioning workouts.