HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) is very popular in today's fitness industry.
HIIT allows you to work out faster and more efficiently, and research shows that the best HIIT workout routines can boost your weight loss, maximize muscle growth, and enhance your performance.
But you might not have realized that it can also increase your calorific burn after the workout and boost your flexibility.
HIIT is one powerful workout routine!
Ready to get started with the best HIIT workout for men over 40?
Below, we lay out three of the best HIIT workout routines that will enable you to lift your game and feel the burn!
This HIIT bodyweight workout for fat loss can be done from inside your home with NO equipment!
The Best HIIT Workout For Men Over 40: Tabata
Tabata training is named after the Japanese scientist that discovered it.
Research on two groups of athletes showed that those who undertook HIIT saw an improvement in their aerobic and anaerobic systems.
Athletes who trained at a moderate level simply saw an increase in aerobic fitness.
One exercise in a Tabata workout will last four minutes. You’ll work hard for 20 seconds then rest for 10 seconds.
Do the exercise eight times in this fashion, and that’s the toughest four minutes you’ll ever know.
The results aren't just what makes this one of the best HIIT workout routines. You can select virtually any exercise, providing it targets large muscle groups.
You can even add some dumbbells if you want to push your limits.
The most important part of this routine is to give it maximum effort. You should feel like you are exhausted at the end of each exercise.
But, you only get a one-minute rest between exercises!
You should be aiming to do four different exercises, which will equate to 20 minutes of exercise. It’s definitely one of the best HIIT workout routines and quite possibly the best workout you’ll ever have.
The idea is to push your maximum heart rate hard.
Here‘s one routine for you to try:
- Pick the push-up you find the hardest, whether standard, close grip, one leg, or your personal favorite.
- Do them for 20 seconds, rest for 10 and then repeat 8 times.
- The push-up will work your chest, shoulders, triceps, and abs.
- Stand with legs shoulder-width apart.
- Lower yourself down until your hips are lower than your knees.
- Your back should stay in the same position.
- Add some dumbbells to make it more difficult or even try jump squats.
- Again, 20 seconds on, 10 off, for four minutes.
- This exercise targets your buttocks, thighs, and hips.
- Simply stand with feet shoulder-width apart and hands by your side.
- Move one foot forward so that the thigh is parallel to the floor.
- The calf on your back leg should also be parallel and just above the floor.
- Come back to a starting position and repeat with 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off.
- It is advisable to switch legs each time.
- This exercise targets your thighs, hamstrings, and buttocks.
- Start in a standing position and then drop to a crouch, knees bent with hands on the floor.
- Kick your legs back to put yourself in a standing plank position.
- Then bring your legs back forward into the crouch position and leap into the air.
- Your hands should reach as high above you as possible.
- Again, repeat for 20 seconds and pause 10 for eight times.
- This exercise will target your glutes, quads, arms, chest, abs, and hamstrings!
- You should have legs like lead when you finish.
The Best HIIT Workout For Men Over 40: Cardio
This is a really easy boost to your usual routine. You simply need to choose an aerobic routine you love, whether running, cycling, spinning, swimming, or even walking.
The idea is to simply ramp it up a bit. Select your activity and switch between high and low intensity.
For example, start walking for two minutes, then sprint for one minute, then repeat for between 20 and 30 minutes.
It’s that simple! You can do it in an aerobic class, using cardio equipment or without any aids.
This is one of the best HIIT workout routines simply because it is so simple!
The main advantage over Tabata HIIT is that you won’t need to be looking at your watch as much.
To really get the best HIIT workout, it is a good idea to alternate your training between the Tabata HIIT and cardio HIIT.
You could even try our 24-minute workout!
Here’s A Free 24-Min Fat Burn Workout For Busy Men 40+
This powerful workout will reignite your metabolism to burn fat 24/7 like you did in your 20s…
The Best HIIT Workout For Men Over 40: HIIT Classes
If you take a look at what activities are going on in your area, you will probably find HIIT classes.
These can be a great way to start HIIT training. In fact, in many ways, they are the best HIIT workout available because:
- You don’t need to watch the time, just focus on the exercises you are told to do.
- Motivation to do each workout will be higher as you need to be at a certain place.
- You can compete against classmates as well as yourself to improve faster.
- Weights can be easily added to make it more challenging.
It is important to verify that you have HIIT classes in your area and to commit to going.
As with any of the best HIIT workout routines, to really benefit, you’ll need to do them consistently.
Perhaps the best part about classes is that you don’t need to keep up with everyone else in the gym.
As long as you complete each exercise, your fitness level and health will improve. The fact that you’ll burn fat and build muscle is a welcome bonus!
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 38,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off. If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 38,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
*Please know that weight loss results and health changes/improvements vary from individual to individual; you may not achieve similar results. Always consult with your doctor before making health decisions. This is not medical advice – simply very well-researched info on the best HIIT workout.