Doing the press with dumbbells instead of a barbell is much safer for your shoulders by being more flexible with your arm position throughout the exercise.
Using dumbbells for this exercise will also help build the stabilizer muscles in your shoulder that will make it functionally strong and will help to avoid injury.
Take a look at our video tutorial below where I guide you through the exercise and outline the main technique points of how to do a perfect dumbbell bench press.
If you need something to print off and take to the gym as a reminder, the step-by-step exercise technique is further down this page.
How to do a dumbbell bench press – Step-by-step technique
- Step 1: Sit on the end of a bench with the dumbbells resting on your thighs, holding them with a strong grip in the centre of the dumbbell grip .
- Step 2: Lower yourself back and bring the dumbbells onto your chest, facing each other.
- Step 3: Press the dumbbells up, so they are over your chest and your arms are almost straight. Twist your hands so your thumbs are side by side.
- Step 4: Breathing in, slowly lower the dumbbells to a 2 count, so they reach a point in line with your nipples and your arms are just below 90 degrees.
- Step 5: Breathing out and leading with your pinky finger, press the dumbbells back up to the start point, with your arms slightly bent.
- Step 6: Repeat for the prescribed number of reps.
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.