When you train your biceps to get bigger arms, dumbbell bicep curls are often a go-to exercise, and for good reason. The exercise itself is very straightforward, but it can be incredibly effective.
You need to make sure you get a peak contraction at the top of the movement and a pre-stretch at the bottom. This makes the exercise much more effective, no matter what weight you are using. In fact… less is sometimes more.
Take a look at our video tutorial below to see the fine form points of this exercise, and if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
Dumbbell bicep curls – Step-by-step technique
- Step 1: Start by standing up in a good posture with a dumbbell in each hand, squeezing the handle of the dumbbell as hard as possible.
- Step 2: Hinge forward very slightly at your hips and take a breath in.
- Step 3: Breathing out, start to curl the dumbbell up, then about half way up, twist (or supinate) your hand so your pinky finger twists towards your face.
- Step 4: At the top of the movement, contract your bicep as much as possible, getting a good peak squeeze.
- Step 5: Breathing in, lower your hand back to the start point, then repeat steps 3 and 4 for the other arm.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend you start with 3 sets of 12-15 reps. **
** Pro Tip #2: As you complete the exercise, keep squeezing the handles of the dumbbell to keep tension through your entire arm.
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Guys 40+ Are Building Age-Defying Muscle And Strength… Working Out Just 3 Hours Per Week...
This proven "Old School Muscle Program For Guys 40+" combines the “old school” bodybuilding secrets with the “new school” science… to produce muscle & strength building results fast.
Only for guys 40+ who want to build muscle.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- Old School Muscle (OSM) covers every aspect of building muscle for you as a guy 40+:
- The 9-Week Muscle Building Program – safe, joint-friendly exercises
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.