Adding the dumbbell French press to your workout routine will help you to increase muscle mass and therefore the size of your arms.
The main things to focus on when you do this exercise both relate to the position of your upper arm. The first is to keep your elbows tight in to your side, so they do not flare out.
The second is to make sure your upper arm stays at 90 degrees to your body and doesn’t drop back over your head. This will take tension away from your triceps, so the squeeze will not be so good.
Take a look at our video tutorial below to see the fine form points of this exercise, and if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
Dumbbell French press – Step-by-step technique
- Step 1: Start by lying on a bench, holding a dumbbell in each hand, with them resting on your chest.
- Step 2: Press the dumbbells straight up in front of you and squeeze the crap out of the handles.
- Step 3: Breathing in, slowly lower the dumbbells down, flexing at your elbow and keeping your elbows in tight. The dumbbells will stop just outside your ears.
- Step 4: Breathing out, press the dumbbells back up to the start position, flexing your triceps at the top and continuing to squeeze the dumbbells.
** Pro Tip #2: Using dumbbells instead of a barbell is healthier for your elbows, so for safety, we recommend this exercise as a start.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Guys 40+ Are Building Age-Defying Muscle And Strength… Working Out Just 3 Hours Per Week
This proven "Old School Muscle Program For Guys 40+" combines the “old school” bodybuilding secrets with the “new school” science… to produce muscle & strength building results fast.
Only for guys 40+ who want to build muscle.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- Old School Muscle (OSM) covers every aspect of building muscle for you as a guy 40+:
- The 9-Week Muscle Building Program – safe, joint-friendly exercises
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.