Burpees are one of those exercises you must have in your workout program, as it is hugely effective at burning a ton of calories. It works almost every muscle in your body, which is what makes it so essential to include.
Burpees are made up of 3 basic exercises, which are the squat thrust, the plank, and the squat jump. Some variations also throw in a push up too.
As you will see from the step-by-step, you start in a plank position, do a squat thrust, explode up into a squat jump, then go back to the plank. You can do these for a time limit or have a set number of reps to complete.
Take a look at our video tutorial below where I guide you through the exercise and outline the main technique points of how to do burpees.
If you need something to print off and take to the gym, then you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
How To Do Burpees – Step-by-Step Technique
- Step 1: Set yourself into a push up/plank position, holding your core strong, your back flat and your hands under your shoulders.
- Step 2: Breathing in, jump your toes forward so they land between your hands.
- Step 3: Breathing out, explode upwards through your toes and perform a squat jump, making sure to land lightly on your toes.
- Step 4: Place your hands back onto the floor and kick your legs back, so you move back to the start position, in a push up/plank position.
- Step 5: Repeat steps 2 – 4 until you have completed reps for the full time limit, or have completed the prescribed number of reps for your set.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend starting with 3 rounds of 20 reps, or as many as you can in 30 seconds. **
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.