Push ups are an excellent exercise for using in bodyweight workout plans, and although they are straight forward, it is important to keep strict form to get the most out of them and to avoid injury.
Press ups work your chest, shoulders, and triceps and can be used with different techniques, in beginner to advanced training programs.
They are amazingly adaptable and versatile, and can be done literally anywhere you have enough space to lay down.
To protect your lower back, you should make sure you keep your belly button pulled back to engage your underlying core muscles and brace your abs while you perform the exercise.
This will help you maintain a strong position with your spine in neutral alignment.
Take a look at our video tutorial below where I guide you through the exercise and outline the main technique points of how to do push ups.
If you need something to print off and take to the gym as a reminder, the step-by-step exercise technique is further down this page.
How to Do Push Ups – Step-by-step technique
- Step 1: Kneel down, set your hands on the floor just outside shoulder width apart, then move your feet back so you are resting on your tip-toes with your back in neutral alignment and your core tight.
- Step 2: Breathing in, slowly lower your chest towards the ground by bending your arms to 90 degrees. Make sure you keep a flat position through your body and your core held tight.
- Step 3: Breathing out, press yourself back up into the start position, pushing your shoulder blades and upper back upwards, still maintaining a straight line through your body.
- Step 4: Repeat for the prescribed number of reps, then slowly bring your knees forward to a resting position.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend starting 3 sets of 10-12 reps. **
** Pro Tip #2: If you are just starting out, you can rest on your knees instead of tip-toes for an easier alternative. **
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.