As you'll see from the anatomical image on the right, Mountain Climbers work quite a few secondary and tertiary muscles, like shoulders, Quads and Forearms.
Mountain Climbers will predominantly work your obliques, your underlying ab muscles (transverse abdominis) and your cardiovascular system.
They are such a good overall exercise that they will help you in many sports, especially those that require explosive twisting power, such as Golf, Tennis, and Baseball.
In this tutorial and related video, I'll show you the proper technique of the exercise, so you can complete it with confidence and safety.
Completing the exercise properly will mean the best results for you while avoiding the potential of injury.
We have a full video tutorial below to show you the fine form points of Mountain Climbers.
Also, if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise walkthrough further down this page.
Mountain Climbers – Step-by-step technique
- Step 1: Set yourself into a press up/plank position, with your hands just outside shoulder width apart and a straight line through your head, shoulders, hips, knees and feet.
- Step 2: Hold your core tight, take a deep breath in and start driving your knees up towards your chest, alternating legs, as you breathe normally.
- Step 3: Each time you drive your knee up, maintain the straight line through your body and do not allow your butt to stick up or sag.
- Step 4: Each time you drive your knee up, your toe should remain around an inch from the floor. This will help avoid a jumping motion.
- Step 5: Set a stopwatch for 30-45 seconds and complete the exercise until your time is up. You can do these in sets, or include them in a circuit with other cardio exercises.
** Pro Tip #1: Start by completing the exercise for 30-45 seconds, in sets or circuits.
** Pro Tip #2: You can find other alternative cardio exercises in our article '20 Best Exercises For Men'.
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 38,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.
* We hoped you enjoyed this article. Remember to always consult your doctor before starting any new exercise program and that this is not medical advice – just well-researched info. Please see our disclaimer at the bottom of this website. Exercise intelligently and safely at your own risk.