The rotation you complete when doing the Russian Twist is different to normal abdominal crunch exercises, in that you work through lateral flexion.
Strengthening your muscles through this plain of motion will help you in sports such as Golf, Tennis, and Cricket, where it's necessary to create power by twisting your body.
Take a look at our video tutorial below, to see the fine form points of the Russian Twist, and if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
Russian Twist – Step-by-Step Technique
- Step 1: Sit on the floor with your feet out in front of you and a 90-degree bend in your knees. Your heels should be lightly planted on the floor.
- Step 2: Lean your torso back, bending at your waist, so you create another 90-degree angle between your Quads and torso.
- Step 3: Make sure your chin is up and your torso is straight and strong.
- Step 4: Breathe in, then as you breathe out, slowly twist your torso to one side, keeping your arms in line with your torso at all times (Make sure you don't just move your arms side-to-side).
- Step 5: Breathe in as you move back to the centre, then breathe out as you rotate around to the other side.
- Step 6: Repeat this for the prescribed number of reps on each side.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend starting with 3 sets of 10-15 reps. **
** Pro Tip #2: As you progress, you can raise your heels off the floor to make it harder. Once that is too easy, you can start to add weight by using a weight plate or a dumbbell in your extended arms.
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.
* We hoped you enjoyed this article. Remember to always consult your doctor before starting any new exercise program and that this is not medical advice – just well-researched info on the Russian Twist. Please see our disclaimer at the bottom of this website. Exercise intelligently and safely at your own risk.