The effect of this constant tension is a longer contraction time on the muscle, which basically makes the exercise a whole lot harder.
With this in mind, you should make sure you start with a slightly lower weight than a normal barbell or dumbbell curl.
As with all bicep exercises, your main points to think about are squeezing the heck out of the bar and attempting to supinate the hand.
I say attempt, as you will not actually be able to do this, but you can press your pinky finger into the bar like you are trying to twist your hand.
As it is a standing exercise, you should also make sure you have an upright posture, a wide athletic stance and you are holding the bar/handle with a shoulder width grip.
Take a look at our video tutorial below to see the fine form points of this exercise, and if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
Cable Bicep Curl – Step-by-Step Technique
- Step 1: Start in front of the cable in a wide stance, holding the bar/handle with a strong, shoulder width grip. Breathe in.
- Step 2: Breathing out, slowly curl the handle up towards your shoulders, squeezing it as hard as you can and keeping your upper arms tight to your side.
- Step 3: At the top of the movement, contract your bicep and hold for a second.
- Step 4: Breathe in as you slowly lower the handle back to the start point, flexing your triceps at the bottom to pre-stretch the biceps.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend you start with 2 sets of 10-15 reps.
** Pro Tip #2: We recommend using a lower weight when you first try this exercise as the constant tension of the cable will make it more difficult than a standard bicep curl.
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Guys 40+ Are Building Age-Defying Muscle And Strength… Working Out Just 3 Hours Per Week
This proven "Old School Muscle Program For Guys 40+" combines the “old school” bodybuilding secrets with the “new school” science… to produce muscle & strength building results fast.
Only for guys 40+ who want to build muscle.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- Old School Muscle (OSM) covers every aspect of building muscle for you as a guy 40+:
- The 9-Week Muscle Building Program – safe, joint-friendly exercises
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.