The pre-stretch that the incline dumbbell curl allows will make the exercise very effective at pumping blood into your biceps throughout the exercise and giving you an amazing pump. This will give you great growth in the bicep muscle.
The main things to focus on when you do this exercise, like all arm exercises, is to squeeze the crap out of the dumbbell and supinating your hand as you curl it up, to get the best squeeze in your bicep at the top of the movement.
As this is a dumbbell exercise, you can choose whether to do them singularly or together. Doing them together will mean you get less of a rest in the muscle, so will push it a little harder.
Take a look at our video tutorial below to see the fine form points of this exercise, and if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
Incline Dumbbell Curl – Step-by-Step Technique
- Step 1: Start by sitting on a bench, set at about 60 degrees, holding the dumbbells and resting them on your lap. Breathe in.
- Step 2: Lay yourself back on the bench and let the dumbbells hang to the side. Your arm will be slightly behind your bodyline. Squeeze the dumbbells tight and breathe in.
- Step 3: Breathing out, slowly curl the dumbbells up towards your shoulders, supinating your hands and making sure you keep your upper arms hanging back in the same position as the start. Do not move them forward.
- Step 4: Breathing in, slowly lower the dumbbells back to the start point, flexing your triceps at the bottom of the movement to pre-stretch the bicep again.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend you start with 2 sets of 12-15 reps.
** Pro Tip #2: We recommend using a lower weight when you first try this exercise as the pre-stretch will make it more difficult than a standard bicep curl.
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.