What is The Best Diet for Men?
By Dr. Anthony Balduzzi, Men’s Health Coach & Founder, The Fit Father Project
With so many different diets out there, how are you supposed to find one that works best for you in a reasonable amount of time?
Trying all kinds of diets (and undoubtedly failing at most) would be time consuming and expensive.
That’s why we’ve compiled a pros and cons list for some of the top diet plans, helping you find the best one for your lifestyle!
The best diet for men is out there. Read on to see which will work for you!
Best Diet for Men: Paleo
The paleo diet has been dubbed the “caveman” diet for good reason.
All the foods you’re allowed to eat on it are those that would have been accessible to, well, cavemen!
On the paleo diet, you must eliminate all processed foods (no cereal, no dairy) in favor of a strict diet of meats, fruits, vegetables, and nuts.
Pros of the paleo diet:
- This diet eliminates processed foods, which are commonly overeaten
- A diet like this is full of protein and will keep you feeling full
Cons of the paleo diet:
- This diet is very low in carbs, which can leave you low on energy especially if you’re an athlete
- Paleo can be difficult for vegetarians because it excludes beans, which is a large source of protein
Overall, the paleo diet directs you to eat foods that are high in nutrients and that do not cause weight gain, diabetes or other health issues.
Best Diet for Men: No-Carb
A low-carb diet is exactly what it sounds like– a diet that is low in carbohydrates, like grains and starchy vegetables, and high in protein and fat.
Low-carb diets are generally for those who want to lose weight for a personal or health reason, like diabetes.
You are instructed to eat meat, fish, eggs, vegetables and natural fats, but instructed to avoid starchy and sugary foods.
Pros of a low-carb diet:
- If you can stick to a low-carb diet, you are very likely going to lose weight
Cons of a low-carb diet:
- Some may find themselves feeling tired and lethargic without carbs
- Many people abandon low-carb diets because of the difficulty with cutting out carbohydrates
If you choose a low-carb diet, be prepared to get creative when it comes to planning and eating meals.
None of us like to eat the same thing all the time, so it will be important to keep things fresh.
Best Diet for Men: Weight Watchers
Weight Watchers is one of the most famous weight loss programs ever and is lauded as one of the most effective.
Essentially, Weight Watchers assesses your age, weight, and gender to assign you to a daily number of points.
Everything you eat must stay within those points.
Pros of Weight Watchers:
- There are no forbidden foods. Everything you eat just has to stay within your daily allotment of points
- Weight Watchers also provides nutritional and cooking advice
Cons of Weight Watchers:
- Weight Watchers’ monthly members can be expensive
- Weekly weigh-ins are required and may discourage you, depending on the pace of your weight loss
- Point counting can be tedious
Best Diet for Men: South Beach Diet
The South Beach Diet was created in 2003 and is a modified low-carb diet.
A commercialized weight loss plan, like Weight Watchers, the South Beach Diet works by providing 3 meals a day to your door.
Staying within these provided meals will provide you the nutrition required to stay within the diet’s plan.
Pros of the South Beach Diet:
- With food provided to you, it’s easy to stay within the dietary restrictions
- The South Beach Diet emphasizes the importance of making lasting, healthy life choices
Cons of the South Beach Diet:
- The first phase of the South Beach Diet is extremely stringent on foods you can eat, which can be discouraging from the outset
The South Beach Diet, like any diet, requires long-term commitment to see results.
What is the Best Plan for You?
There are even more diet plans out there than the ones we talked about above.
While diet plans are different, they all aim to get you to a healthier and happier state.
When you think about which diet plan sounds good to you, remember that your body needs three things to be successful on a diet:
- Healthy food
Without one of those elements, your weight loss endeavor will not be successful.
Based on our research of diet plans that are available and knowledge of the day-to-day demands of fatherhood, we put together our own plan that we think is the best diet for men.
Join our 30-Day FF30X Program to see what it’s all about.
Our easy to make, delicious and convenient recipes aim to take the guesswork out of dieting and provide you with a plan that is adaptable enough for a full-time dad.
Founder, The Fit Father Project
Brotherhood Nickname: “Mr. Results”
Bragging Rights: Has helped over 10,000 fathers lose over 75,000lbs and rebuild lean muscle
P.S. If you haven’t seen my FREE 1-Day Meal Plan for Men over 40, I highly recommend you click here to get a free copy sent directly to your email. Remember: nutrition is a core foundation of weight loss for men over 40.
A small note about research cited in this article:
*Always remember: weight loss results & health changes/improvements vary from individual to individual. Just because these studies cite certain data does not mean you will experience these results. Always consult with your doctor before making decisions about your health. This is not medical advice – simply very well-researched info on the best diet for men.