Hanging leg raises will work your entire midsection, but are predominantly targeted on your lower abs. To work the lower abs properly, you must make sure you follow some particular key points.
The most important parts of this exercise are to make sure you pre-stretch your abs when hanging, and rolling your pelvis under and up as you raise your legs.
Here’s A Free 24-Min Fat Burn Workout For Busy Men 40+
This powerful workout will reignite your metabolism to burn fat 24/7 like you did in your 20s…
If you raise your legs by just bending them, you will target your hip flexor muscle instead of your lower abs.
Take a look at our video tutorial below to see the fine form points of this exercise, and if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
Hanging Leg Raises – Step-by-Step Technique
- Step 1: Start by holding onto a pull-up bar and raising your feet off the floor. Breathe in.
- Step 2: As you breathe out, raise your legs up towards you, rolling your pelvis under and up to engage your lower abs.
- Step 3: As you reach the top point, your lower back should be slightly curved upwards and you should feel a squeeze in your abs.
- Step 4: Breathe in as you slowly lower your legs back down to the start point, pre-stretching your abs again before the next rep.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend you start with 2 sets of 10-15 reps.
** Pro Tip #2: As you complete the exercise, think about rolling your pelvis up and under, to focus your lower abs and not your hip flexors.
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.