The Scott curl is a variation of a standard dumbbell curl, but uses the upright position of a bench to control the movement of your arm and restrict cheating.
The Scott curl still uses the same movement as a normal bicep curl but is more effective because of the increased peak contraction you can get when your upper arm is held in a stable position, similar to in the concentration curl exercise.
The main things to focus on when you do this exercise is squeezing the dumbbell like your life depends on it, and supinating your hand as you curl the dumbbell up to get the best squeeze in your arm.
Take a look at our video tutorial below to see the fine form points of this exercise, and if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
Scott Curl – Step-by-step technique
- Step 1: Start by standing beside a bench with your arm hanging over the back of it and the upright of the bench tucked into your armpit.
- Step 2: Hold a dumbbell in your hand, squeezing it as hard as you can. Let your arm hang down, so you pre-stretch your bicep. Breathe in.
- Step 3: Breathing out, slowly curl the dumbbell upwards towards your shoulder, twisting your hand so your pinky finger comes towards your face. Squeeze at the top.
- Step 4: Breathing out, slowly lower the dumbbell back to the start point, flexing your tricep at the bottom of the movement to pre-stretch the bicep again.
** Pro Tip #2: Make sure to keep your upper arm straight, against the upright of the bench, so you don’t move it forward through the exercise.
Check out the TRX Bicep Curl for another great variation on this lift.
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.