You can deadlift with whatever type of weights you prefer, be that Barbell, Dumbbell or Kettlebell. If you stick to the form points we show you in the below video, you will be fine.
Deadlift is predominantly a leg exercise, but works almost all your lower body musculature, which is why it is such a good exercise to add to your workouts.
You will work your Hamstrings, Glutes, Lower back, Core and Abs, and Quads to a small degree.
To protect your lower back and maintain a neutral spine, you should make sure you keep your belly button pulled back to engage your underlying core muscles and brace your abs while you perform the exercise.
Take a look at our video tutorial below where I guide you through the exercise and outline the main technique points of how to deadlift.
If you need something to print off and take to the gym as a reminder, the step-by-step exercise technique is further down this page.
How to Deadlift – Step-by-step technique
- Step 1: Stand in a strong athletic stance, with your feet just past shoulder width apart, your back in neutral alignment and your core tight.
- Step 2: Bending your knees, and keeping your back straight, lower down to pick up the weight. Set your grip about shoulder width apart.
- Step 3: Roll the weight back into your shins then lift the weight up, pressing through your heels and keeping your back straight. You should reach a good upright position at the top of the move.
- Step 4: Breathe in as you lower the weight back down to the floor.
- Step 5: Breathe out as you repeat step 3, raising the weight back to an upright position.
- Step 6: Complete the prescribed number of reps, then slowly lower the weight back to the floor, maintaining neutral spine throughout.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
For more video tutorials and guides, visit the Fit Father Project YouTube channel
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.