One Arm Dumbbell Row works throughout most of your upper body, covering lats, shoulders, traps and to some extent, biceps.
This exercise will help you build thickness, rather than width, in your lats. This gives a great effect and compliments the V-taper effect you build from Lat pulldowns or pull-ups.
Keeping the flat position of your back throughout the movement is very important, so you get a full squeeze into the right muscles, but also to keep your spine in alignment and avoid injury.
In this tutorial and related video, I'll show you the proper technique of the exercise, so you can complete it with confidence and safety.
We have a full video tutorial below, to show you the fine form points of the One Arm Dumbbell Row.
Also, if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise walkthrough further down this page.
One Arm Dumbbell Row – Step-by-step technique
- Step 1: Set your bench with a flat position and place equal weight dumbbells each side of the bench.
- Step 2: Place one knee and your hand on the same side onto the bench, keeping your other foot planted on the floor and other hand free.
- Step 3: Lean forward and pick up one dumbbell in your free hand and set yourself into a ‘tabletop' position with your back flat and shoulders square.
- Step 4: Pull your shoulder blade back on your active side and keep this locked in throughout the entire set.
- Step 5: Breathe in, then as you breath out, row the dumbbell up, keeping your elbows close to your sides throughout. Pause at the top of the movement and squeeze your lats.
- Step 6: Breathing in, lower the dumbbells back to the lowest point, slow and controlled, keeping your shoulder blade locked in place.
- Step 7: Repeat steps 3-5 for the prescribed number of reps, then change sides and repeat for the opposite arm.
** Pro Tip #1: To start, complete this exercise as a finisher exercise, with 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps.
** Pro Tip #2: Make sure your back does not round throughout the exercise. Keep your back flat.
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.