You will have no problem feeling the tension through this exercise, but it is important to make sure you pull your belly button back and contract your abs at all times.
The most important part of this exercise is to hold your core tight and not let your lower back sag at the low part of the rollout.
If you are sagging, try to roll out less far. On the roll back, make sure you are flexing your abs and curling your back round slightly.
Take a look at our video tutorial below to see the fine form points of this exercise, and if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
Ab wheel rollout – Step-by-step technique
- Step 1: Start by getting into a tabletop position, with your knees on some pads or a towel for protection and your hands on the Ab Wheel. Breathe in.
- Step 2: As you breathe out, pull your belly button back and slowly start to roll out as far as you can, keeping your core tight.
- Step 3: Hold at the furthest point for a count, then breathe in as you roll back, making sure to flex your abs and push your shoulders up to engage the abs fully.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend you start with 2 sets of 10-15 reps.
** Pro Tip #2: As you complete the exercise, keep your abs flexed and your back flat. If your back starts to sag, roll out less far or stop the exercise.
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.