The basic movement of the barbell curl is the same as all other bicep curl exercises, where you curl the weight from a straight arm position, up towards your shoulders, without moving your upper arms forward.
The main things to focus on when you do this exercise is squeezing the crap out of the barbell and still trying to supinate your hand as you curl the bar up, to get the best squeeze in your arm.
Although you will not be able to actually twist your hand, the attempt will make the bicep muscle contract harder and give you more squeeze through the exercise.
Take a look at our video tutorial below to see the fine form points of this exercise, and if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
Barbell Curl – Step-by-Step Technique
- Step 1: Start by standing upright with a good posture, holding a barbell with a shoulder width grip as tight as you can. Breathe in.
- Step 2: Breathing out, slowly curl the bar up towards your shoulders, making sure you keep your upper arms tight to your body and straight.
- Step 3: As you curl, try to twist your hands so your pinky finger is pressing on the bar. This will give you a peak contraction. Squeeze at the top of the movement.
- Step 4: Breathing in, slowly lower the barbell back to the start point, flexing your triceps at the bottom of the movement to pre-stretch the bicep again.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend you start with 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
** Pro Tip #2: Make sure to keep your upper arm straight throughout the exercise, to avoid your shoulder muscles helping with the lift.
** Pro Tip #3: An EZ bar is better to use for the barbell curl as it is less stressful on your wrists and elbows. If you have access to one, we recommend using it as a start.
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Guys 40+ Are Building Age-Defying Muscle And Strength… Working Out Just 3 Hours Per Week
This proven "Old School Muscle Program For Guys 40+" combines the “old school” bodybuilding secrets with the “new school” science… to produce muscle & strength building results fast.
Only for guys 40+ who want to build muscle.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- Old School Muscle (OSM) covers every aspect of building muscle for you as a guy 40+:
- The 9-Week Muscle Building Program – safe, joint-friendly exercises
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.