Lunges are a great lower body exercise, working Hamstrings, Quads, Calves, and Core. It is perfect for including bodyweight lunges in a cardio workout to burn calories or for using as a muscle gain exercise, by using dumbbells.
Lunges can be done anywhere and in a variety of ways.
You can do alternating lunges, as we show you in the video below, or you can do static lunges (one leg at a time), or even plyometric lunges if you are an advanced trainer and feel it is safe on your joints.
Take a look at our video tutorial below where I guide you through the exercise and outline the main technique points of how to do lunges.
If you need something to print off and take to the gym as a reminder, the step-by-step exercise technique is further down this page.
How to Do lunges – Step-by-step technique
- Step 1: Stand upright with a strong posture, feet shoulder width apart and your core tight.
- Step 2: Breathing in, take a long step forward, plant your foot and bend your knees to lower yourself towards the floor. Keep your body upright and your front knee back behind your toe.
- Step 3: Breathing out, press up through your heel and move back to the start point, standing with an upright posture.
- Step 4: Repeat steps 2 and 3 on the other leg.
- Step 5: Continue to alternate legs until you have completed the prescribed number of reps on each leg.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend starting 3 sets of 15-20 reps. **
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.