The overhead dumbbell extension works the triceps and is perfect for building bigger arms as 2/3 of your upper arm is made up of triceps muscles. Lots of guys looking to build bigger arms go for biceps exercises, but triceps is the way to go.
As you will see from the video tutorial below, there are a few form points that will be key to make sure you squeeze every ounce of muscle gain from this great exercise.
If you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
Overhead Dumbbell Extension – Step-by-Step Technique
- Step 1: Sit on the edge of a bench and take a dumbbell in one hand.
- Step 2: Raise the dumbbell above your head, so your arm is completely straight.
- Step 3: Slightly lean your body over, away from the side with the dumbbell. (e.g. If dumbbell is in your right hand, lean toward the left).
- Step 4: Breathing in, slowly lower the dumbbell towards your opposite shoulder, making sure you feel tension through your triceps.
- Step 5: Breathing out, extend the dumbbell back to the start position, making sure to squeeze your triceps at the top.
- Step 6: Repeat steps 2 – 5 on one arm for the prescribed number of reps, then change hands and repeat for that side.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend starting with 3 sets of 12-15 reps. **
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.