Doing a Swiss ball crunch with the correct form will strengthen your core and abs, which is important for posture and back stability. It will develop your abs too, but you need to remember that doing these alone will not give you a 6-pack.
As I mention in the video, healthy eating plays its role in getting a 6-pack too, so if you need to get your diet in check, you can get a copy of our “1-Day Meal Plan” right here.
Take a look at our video tutorial below, to see the fine form points of this exercise and if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
Swiss ball crunch – Step-by-step technique
- Step 1: Sit on the Swiss ball, then walk yourself forward so your butt is forward from the top of the ball and the ball rests into your lower back.
- Step 2: Lay your upper body back over the ball, stopping when you are just past parallel and have a slight stretch in your abs.
- Step 3: Make sure your chin is slightly tucked, but you are still facing the ceiling.
- Step 4: Breathing in, raise your arms out, above your head to pre-stretch your abs and add resistance to the exercise.
- Step 5: Breathing out, slowly curl upwards, rounding your back and keeping your arms above your head. You should curl to about 45 degrees, with a rounded back and tense abs.
- Step 6: Breathe in as you lower back to the start position, then repeat steps 4 and 5 for the prescribed number of reps.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend starting with sets of 10-15 reps. **
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
* We hoped you enjoyed this article. Remember to always consult your doctor before starting any new exercise program and that this is not medical advice – just well-researched info. Please see our disclaimer at the bottom of this website. Exercise intelligently and safely at your own risk.