Training the obliques is something that is often left behind when people complete abs workouts. They should be included though, as strong obliques help with your overall functionality as well as creating a completely developed mid-section.
The oblique muscles run down the side of your body and are effectively responsible for all twisting movements. If you play sports that require explosive twists, such as Tennis or Golf, these muscles should be trained well!
Take a look at our video tutorial below to see the fine form points of this exercise, and if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
Side Plank Exercise – Step-by-Step Technique
- Step 1: Start by kneeling down, then lay on your side and set your forearm on the floor with your elbow directly under your shoulder.
- Step 2: Place your legs out to the side, keeping a straight line throughout your body.
- Step 3: Taking the weight through your forearm, lift your hip off the floor, holding your core tight to keep the position.
- Step 4: Hold the tensed position for as long as you can as you continue normal breathing.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend you start by holding the position for as long as you can. **
** Pro Tip #2: As you complete the exercise, make sure that your hip does not sag downwards or backwards. If you cannot remain in a flat position, stop the exercise.
** Pro Tip #3: For a more advanced level, you can rotate your shoulders round and place your free hand through the gap between the floor and your hip.
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.