When you train your triceps, you are trying to work the three heads of the same muscle, to get the horseshoe shape that defines the triceps. The tricep pressdown works the lateral head, which runs down the outside edge of your arm.
The most important parts of this exercise are keeping an upright posture, your arms pinned into your sides and your shoulders pulled back. Leaning over or hunching will cause you to use shoulders and upper traps to move the weight.
Take a look at our video tutorial below to see the fine form points of this exercise, and if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise technique further down this page.
Tricep pressdown – Step-by-step technique
- Step 1: Start by standing up in a good posture with your shoulders back and a tight grip on the rope handles. Your arms should be at 90 degrees.
- Step 2: Breathing out, press down so you straighten your arms completely. Squeeze your triceps at the bottom and pull the rope handles as far apart as possible.
- Step 3: Breathing in, slowly raise your lower arm back to 90 degrees, keeping your upper arms tight to your sides and your shoulders back.
** Pro Tip #1: We recommend you start with 3 sets of 12-15 reps. **
** Pro Tip #2: As you complete the exercise, keep squeezing the handles of the rope cable to keep tension through your entire arm.
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.