The important thing to remember when doing this exercise is to hold your body in a good neutral position throughout.
This will help to engage your core more and will make sure you work the muscles you should be.
You should start with your body position fairly upright, then move your feet forward as you get stronger and are able to support more of your bodyweight.
When you pull your body upwards/forwards on the positive part of the exercise, you should make sure your arms are at about 45 degrees. This will give you the best squeeze on your upper back and rear shoulder.
In this tutorial and related video, I'll show you the proper technique of the exercise, so you can complete it with confidence and safety.
We have a full video tutorial to show you the fine form points of the TRX Y Fly.
Also, if you need something to print off and take to the gym, you can find our step-by-step exercise walkthrough further down this page.
TRX Y Fly – Step-by-step technique
- Step 1: Start facing the suspension trainer and take a handle in each hand.
- Step 2: Place your feet forward, so you have a slight lean away from the suspension trainer, supporting your bodyweight. Slowly straighten your arms out in front of you.
- Step 3: Take a deep breath in, then as you breathe out, pull yourself forwards and upwards with your arms going above your head at about a 45 degree angle from your body, into a ‘Y' shape.
- Step 4: Breathing in, slowly lower yourself back to the start position, making sure to keep tension as you lower back.
- Step 5: Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the prescribed number of reps, then rest before completing your next set.
** Pro Tip #2: Use this exercise within a functional training session, to make the most of the core stability work needed to control your body position.
More Suspension Exercises
To learn more exercises that you can use in your training, visit our complete exercise library on the Fit Father Project YouTube channel.
The Men's Health Experts @ The Fit Father Project
Here’s How Busy Fathers Over 40 Are Finally Burning Stubborn Belly Fat & Getting Healthy Without Restrictive Diets or Time-Consuming Workouts
This proven "Fit Father Program" has helped 25,000 busy men 40+ lose weight, rebuild muscle, and finally keep the weight off.
If you're frustrated with stubborn belly fat, failed diets, and time-consuming workouts, this is the answer you’ve been looking for…
- The Fit Father Meal Plan – with simple & delicious recipes
- Safe & Effective Workouts Program – only 90 min/week
- VIP Accountability Coaching – our Fit Father Team will personally walk you to success, step-by-step.